Monday, February 24, 2014

Anniversary Weekend

Jared and I celebrated our 12th Anniversary on February 16th!  Since our actual day fell on a long weekend and it was nearly impossible to get a hotel room anywhere so we decided to take a long over do getaway the weekend after!  At first I thought about going to Great Falls, but with the dollar so low my mom suggested we look in Banff or even Canmore!  So I got online and found a quaint little chalet near Canmore for well under $100 a night!  Looking closer at this particular place I noticed that some of the chalets were equipped with a fireplace!  I thought this would be nice and cozy!  So I booked it! 


We left after Jared was finished work Friday evening and drove up to Calgary where we stopped for supper!  We then continued on, since we weren't totally excited about driving through the entire city to continue west on the Trans Canada Highway we decided to try the new ring road!  It was unbelievable how fast we got to the exact opposite end of Calgary by merely going all the way around it!  By the time we got to the edge of the mountains the snow started to fall!  Big, fluffy snowflakes!  We found our chalet with no problems and quickly unloaded our car!  As soon as we unlocked the door and stepped inside we could smell remnants of a fire from the fire place and feel the warmth and coziness of the little building! 



Standing in the doorway we could see all the amenities our "Swiss Chalet" had to offer!  A cozy double bed, a child sized couch, a table with two chairs, a combination sink, stove, oven and mini fridge all encased in a stainless steel unit!  The bathroom was barely big enough to fit one person, a tiny toilet, and 2 foot squared metal shower and a mini sink attached to the wall!  But despite the tininess, it was cozy and cute!  We had an amazing time!  We relaxed by the fire, read, watched some of the Olympics...we drove the few minutes into Canmore to eat and look around at all the little shops!  We ate at two really yummy places...One was Rocky Mountain Flatbread and Co. (thanks for the suggestion Mom!!)  We each had the soup and more special which included a bowl of soup and an 8" pizza!  I chose the chicken noodle soup and the Apple Chicken Pizza, it had lemon marinated chicken, mozzarella cheese, red onions, cherry tomatoes and slices of granny smith apples!  It was yummy, the crust was unbelievable!  Jared had the chef's special soup, a potato chowder with mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes!  His pizza was a BBQ chicken!  Also super yummy!  It was a neat little restaurant, all the pizzas were baked in a kiln, I was able to watch each pizza be put in and taken out from where I sat!  It was so neat!!!  We also found a neat burger joint which reminded us of Fudruckers!  It too was really yummy!

It was lots of fun being alone and reminiscing about our wedding day 12 years earlier!  We have come a long way in 12 years and I can honestly say that I love him more with each passing year.  He truly is my best friend and I couldn't imagine my life without him! 

This weekend totally wouldn't have been possible without Myrna for watching our kids!! And if my sister and brother in law hadn't taken some initiative and watered our steers and broke the ice on the bulls water while we were gone, our cows would have been mighty thirsty!  Jared has been busy with cows every Saturday and most Sundays for so long we can't even remember a weekend without having to do something with the cows!  When my sister came out to the farm Saturday to pick our kids up from Myrna's to take them to my Mom's for a family gathering, she could hear the steers mooing quite a bit and when she checked on them she noticed they had no water.  Dave wasn't going to be out until after he went skiing, so she texted me and asked what to do.  I told her how Jared gives them water and thanked her profusely for taking care of our animals for us, especially since we hadn't asked her to!  I had watered them before I left but obviously they were used to Jared giving them water every morning before he would leave for work!  I think they might be a little spoiled!!  Thankfully we are selling the steers on Wednesday so Jared won't have to haul water twice a day anymore!  Thanks to my little sister Jared didn't stress TOO much!!!!

We would really like to take our kids to the Rundle Ridge Chalet's sometime!  They have bigger chalets that would fit our family.  When the boys get older we would like to take them there and do the Dog Sled Tour!  It was a great getaway, a little short, but much needed!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice getaway. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute little chalet. The first pic with the snow looks like a perfect winter photo op

    ReplyDelete