Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Melted My Heart


Calum has been severely afraid of thunder storms this summer, and have we ever had a lot!  Some weeks there has been one everyday.  He usually hides in the storage room because he thinks it is the safest place in the house.  This may be partly to blame on Jared and I because we said years ago that if ever there is a tornado in our area we would go into the storage room to hide.  He must have remembered this and to this day feels the safest in there! 

While Calum is in the storage room he usually prays.  One prayer in particular melted my heart.  He said, "I'm thankful for my daddy, he tickles me and that makes me happy.  I'm thankful for my brother and sister.  I'm thankful for my mom.  She's so pretty, she's the prettiest lady I ever saw.  I'm thankful for the rain but please make the thunder and lightening stop..."  When Jared told me this my eyes welled up with big tears.  He is the most sincere, brute of a kid I know.  He is always thinking of others and is concerned about others feelings.  Yes, he is rough and tumble and can get angry with his brother and sister, but there is also something soft about him.  The way he calls Armin his Bro and his best buddy, or the way he hugs his sister goodnight or wants to hold her hand when we are in a parking lot.  And when he said I was the prettiest lady he ever saw, boy that won him some brownie points, it melted my heart!!  It also reminded me that even if I feel down on myself I know I have a fan, who loves me for who I am.

But to get him to come out of the storage room once he has gone in is nearly impossible.  Jared pleaded with him that the whole house is safe and how he would never let anything bad happen to him.  Having finally convinced Calum to come sleep in his bed one particularly bad night only resulted in Calum running to the toilet every 10 or so minutes to dry heave. 

All I can do is love this little boy and be thankful each and everyday for the opportunity I have to teach him the true meaning of why he is here.  He brightens my day every time I look at him.  I am thankful for the opportunity I have to be his mom, to hug him and kiss him and call him my own!

2 comments:

  1. The innocent sincere prayers of children are sweet. I hope he is able to get over his fright of thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet boy! I hope the rest of the summer is thunderstorm free.

    ReplyDelete