Wednesday, April 11, 2018

First Calf and Favorite Cow

We started calving last Friday, a little early but only by about a week!  She's a cute little thing, so tiny!  I look forward to this time of year, though it is a bit more stressful, I love seeing the new life moving around out in the field, even though it means more frequent checks which is not always fun especially through this rotten mud!!


We had to sell my favorite cow this year.  I was pretty sad about that, Jared hung onto her for a number of years for me because I liked her so much.  But this was her final straw.  She was a wonderful mom, though a little aggressive and she always jumped when she was in the chute.  She was either going to hurt someone or herself or even another cow.  So he made the decision to let her go this year.  I wasn't even consulted!!  But I knew it was her time.  She was my favorite because she was part Galloway and part Red Angus.  The Galloway gave her a very distinctive look, her tail was red and black with ringlets and around her head she had black fur around the edges of her eyes and framing her face!  She was beautiful!!  So we still have one cow that has similar features to my Number 2, her name is Date Night!!!  The reason behind her name, Jared and I had to pull her calf a couple of years ago the same night we had planned on going out!  She didn't ruin our date completely, we did still get to spend time with each other which is always a plus no matter how we get it!!  And her calf lived, so added bonus!!


Calving brings new life to the farm!  I love it!!!

3 comments:

  1. It's going to be super fun in the mud isn't it. 😳

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reminded of the year the cows were standing in water up to their bellies. Oh, and my basement flooded. Fun and games. I love how you like the cows so much. Love Mom P

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I guess for a cow she's cute

    ReplyDelete