Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Meaning Behind the Name

I should tell why I chose the name, Poverty Flats Cattle Company!  Jared's grandpa Fred used to drive over the hill coming from the west and say "Poverty Flats..."  Jared always said if he had an automotive shop set up at the farm he would call it Poverty Flats Motors.  Jared and I have had a few cows through my Mom and Step Dad, Dick for the last few years.  This year Jared and his brother Dave have decided to join together with the 57 cows and make a real go of it!  Dick took time to seed some of David's poorer land to a mixture of grass and alfalfa.  Which has done amazing!  Dick truly would be proud to see what his hard work has done!  Anyway the guys decided to cut and bale that land and already have enough hay for this year and if it dries up somewhat they could have enough hay for the next year as well!  Jared took a week off work to get corrals and a fence built around the home quarter and was actually able to accomplish a lot between the awful rainy weather and Dave helping out after he was done work for the day!  I think they are having a great time working together, they seem giddier than two little school girls!  Besides feeding all winter they also plan to calve the cows out in the spring!  I admire their ambition and all the hard work they have put in, and who knows one day we just might get into our house!  Here's hoping for our fourth estimated time to move in...next spring??  We were able to have a little adventure a couple of weeks ago!  We have been bottle feeding one of our calves since last May, we aren't sure if he was a twin or if his mom just didn't want him.  He was born during one of those horrible spring storms!  Anyway, Jared was just curious if he was castrated, and it turned out he was not!  Jared borrowed the correct tool from my Brother in-law, Buck, and he and Dave were ready and willing to get to work!  Once they had Charlie down on the ground they realized Jared couldn't get off of him and Dave couldn't let go of his back legs, even though he had them tied.  It turns out that Charlie is a very healthy, if not spoiled calf and probably weighs over 200 pounds!  Either I was in the wrong place at the wrong time or I just looked like I was wanting an adventure!  Being 6 and a half months pregnant didn't stop the boys from "requesting" that I do the dirty work!  It was a little tougher than I thought it would be and the tool was on the verge of being too small for the size and age Charlie is, I will spare all the gory details!  Anyway, we were successful!  What normally takes one guy to do when the calf is first born took three of us to do 6 months later!  I think we did an excellent job for being newbies at it!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! I can't believe they had you do the dirty work!!! especially with you being pregnant! When mom told me that I couldn't believe you did it. I would have freaked out!

    ReplyDelete