Saturday, July 16, 2011

Swimming Lesson's Round One!




This past week Emry had her swimming lessons, she is in level 4, she did so well!  She has the knowledge of what to do for swimming safety and how to properly do each of the specific swimming strokes she just doesn't quite have the endurance, she is quite young for being in level 4 but she can't just stop lessons until she is bigger or she will forget what she has already learned.  So she will try level 4 again in August when Ashton, Bowen, and Liam come to do swimming lessons here at our little pool! 


The first day of Emry's lesson proved to be quite the challenge!  Myrna was in Calgary, my mom wasn't feeling well, and Arren was in the field baling so I had no choice but to take Calum with us, something I was totally dreading!  The new pool has a beach type entry so of course as soon we get into the pool area Calum runs full speed into the shallow end fully clothed!  I took off his shorts and shirt and layed them in the sun to dry and then took Calum by the hand to ask the Lifeguards if it was okay if he played in the swallow end while Emry had her lesson, thankfully they said it would be fine!  I put Calum into a swimming diaper and told him quite sternly that he could only play up to the tall blue tower!  I was so proud of how well he was listening, he found some toy sharks, scuba divers and sea horses to play with, so I decided to nurse Armin.  Everything was going really well, or so I thought!  Once Calum saw that I was settled he decided to climb out of the pool quite a ways away from where I was sitting and as soon as his feet were out of the pool and firmly placed on the cement he took off for the ladder, I jumped up with Armin in my arms wondering why his afternoon snack was being interrupted, and tried to get to Calum before he jumped into the pool.  I didn't make it and I couldn't reach him from the edge of the pool either so I jumped in!  The water was only waist high on me but Calum was fully immersed treading water.  With Armin securely tucked under my left arm against my hip we grabbed Calum and pulled him toward the ladder, by this time a lifeguard got there and lifted him out of the pool.  She asked him over and over again if he was okay, and he kept saying, "I go simming!"  As I was walking with him back to our bag I told her he was completely fine!  I was so totally soaked, my jeans and half way up my t-shirt dripping wet!  Armin faired pretty well, only getting his feet wet at first and then becoming much more wet while I held him.  Thankfully it was a nice day because for the rest of the lesson we had to watch in our wet clothes. 

Calum is such a wild man, he is not afraid of things that could potentially be dangerous to him.  He is afraid of chickens and baby kitty's, mascotts, the moon and his shadow but not of the cows, or water or climbing absolutely anything he can!  Luckily tuesday Myrna was home and Calum was able to stay with her!  Wednesday was another adventure though!  I decided to take the kids swimming before Emry's lesson to see if it would tire Calum out enough to sit and watch!  Wrong again!  We spent an entire hour in the pool during public swim climbing up the ladder and jumping off the edge, I would catch Calum with Armin at my side.  Armin loves the water as much as Emry and Calum do, but because the heater isn't working quite the way its supposed to Armin's little hands and his lips were purple.  It was time for Emry's lesson to start so I took the boys to the locker room to have a nice warm shower.  This took up some time thankfully, so out we went to watch the last little bit of Emry's lesson, well so much for it being the end of the lesson!  We didn't take as long in the shower as I thought so we had a lot more to watch.  Apparently sitting did not sit well with Calum because again he ran full speed into the shallow end fully clothed!  This time I scooped him up and I took him and Armin to the van!  I decided to run a few quick errands in town while Emry finished up her lesson, which I should have done from the beginning but I really wanted to watch Emry too!

Calum is quite the boy and everytime I tell him what he needs to do and he starts to follow my instruction I feel that he is finally understanding what I am telling him and then he proves me wrong!  He definitely has a mind of his own and at the end of every day I am so thankful that he has survived another day!  I guess the good we can find in his lack of fear of the water is that the lifeguards will have no problems with him during his swimming lesson-well except for maybe keeping track of him!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, Amber, that child is going to wear you out before he even gets to school. He is just a go getter and I couldn't believe you jumped into the pool with your baby in your arms.....to rescue that fearless child. You deserve such a gold star for having the patience for that little rascal.

    ReplyDelete