Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Beauty of the Prairies

This afternoon the boys and I helped Arren and her family cut strings on bales.  Arren had watched Calum while Armin and I went to Time for Rhymes ( Calum has been banned from coming with us so Arren watches him for the hour we are gone!), and when we came to pick Calum up we stayed and had grilled cheese sandwiches with them.  After lunch she asked me what I had planned for the afternoon, I told her not much and jokingly she asked if we wanted to come out and cut bale strings!  Instantly I said sure!  I think she was slightly shocked!  I told her it would be fun, so we bundled up the kids while Buck got the truck ready.  John and Roxanne were also going to help so we could get a lot more done.  Every four days they have to cut strings on the bales that they left out in the field in the summer for the cows to graze during the winter.  80 bales usually feeds the 350 cows for 4 days so every four days they are out there cutting strings so the cows don't choke on them and so they can eat the bales more easily.  This afternoon with the five adults cutting strings we were able to cut the remaining bales in the field, which should last until the end of the month!

Calum and Lily tagged along with Arren, while I pushed Armin in the stroller.  We each took a section and walked to each bale.  Not even 10 minutes after starting Armin fell fast asleep.  Lily and Calum had races to the next bale and even became rescue heros saving the bale strings!  From where I was in the field I would hear bursts of their sweet little laughs.  Arren said at one point they each had a tool, Calum a hammer and Lily a wrench, and they would grab a string with their tools and pull it to safety.  Once the string was safe they would give each other a high five and a hug.  When Arren had cut the strings on her last bale she lifted the kids up onto the bale while she walked back to get the truck.  The were laughing and giggling the whole time they were up there.  The imaginations kids have truly is so amazing, they can make fun out of anything!

I had such a great time this afternoon.  No matter which direction I looked I could see for miles.  To the west I could see the beautiful snow covered mountains, to the north I could see nothing but blue sky, to the east golden fields and rolling hills, and to the south tree lined farms.  It was so beautiful and I couldn't help but take a few moments to thank my Heavenly Father for where I live in the world.  I couldn't be any happier than I am, even as much as the wind bothers me, I still love being able to see for miles and miles.  And the peace and quiet of nature truly fills my mind with peace!  It was a great day, one I will remember for years to come!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I want to move and just feel like i have done somthing cool. Just for a few years. But I never can. I agree, the prairies really are the greatest place on earth. And we have no rats:)

    ReplyDelete