Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Clearing a Blockage

The water pressure in our kitchen tap has been horrible ever since we moved into our house, and it would only seem to get hot if we turned on the bathroom tap at the same time.  Well, as much as we didn't want to have our original plumber back to resolve this problem, I finally broke down and called him.  He had been calling us to set up a time we could meet to finalize our bill, so when I called him back I was only able to leave a message and I told him to stop by anytime, I also told him that we had a few concerns of our own.  Surprisingly he showed up one Monday morning, I told him about our kitchen tap and he said he needed to make it right.  After much inspection he decided it must be a problem with the actual tap.  But before he put a call into EMCO he wanted to rule out a couple other things.  EMCO has been a real nightmare for him to deal with lately and if he could avoid calling them he would do anything!  So he decided to cut the pipe under the sink and attach a longer tube so he could see what kind of pressure it got with out the tap attached.  He was also hoping it might just clean out some built up dirt, which could be causing the problem.  Once it was all hooked up he had me hold the hose into the sink while he ran down and turned the water back on.  When I saw what came out I honestly couldn't stop laughing...2 screws!  I was laughing because I totally wasn't surprised by this especially since our plumber seemed to be a little sloppy with his quality of work!  Despite my lack of surprise, he was totally shocked to see the screws, he even asked how they would have gotten in there! After thinking about it for awhile he thought they looked like the screws that come in the wooden boxes the showers are shipped in!

Anyway, our kitchen tap now works without having to turn on the bathroom tap, and it is nice to hear that it kicks in the hot water on demand!  Now to get our dishwasher figured out, it too doesn't have enough pressure to make the hot water on demand come on, so our dishes are not getting washed very well because the soap isn't dissolving.  Who knows, maybe there are more screws stuck in the water pipes!!

2 comments:

  1. That's crazy - screws in the pipes! I hope someone can figure out your dishwasher for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Screws....NICE!!!!! That was going to be my next question if the dishwasher worked better now. Dave suggested telling you what helped with ours. We just throw the dish soap in the bottom and it dissolves way better. You need to get the little pod to do that but ours has worked better since just throwing them in. Good luck. Glad you finally have hot water in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete