Sunday, February 20, 2011

Valentine's Day

For Valentine's Day this year I made dinner for my mom and Jared's mom!  It was a lot of fun making a fancy meal!  When I was in the hospital a friend of mine brought me her February Martha Stewart magazine, and with all the time I had to kill I was able to actually read it from cover to cover!  I have always liked how Martha includes the recipe cut outs and when I subscribed to the magazine I always ripped them out and put them in my recipe box but never actually tried one.  Well this issue had the most delicious looking Chicken Pot Pie, I had originally wanted to make it for Armin's baby blessing but soon realized it would have been too much work for the amount of people we would be feeding.  Valentine's Day turned out to be the perfect opportunity!  One of the ingredients was cream, so you can imagine how yummy it was!  The pastry was just puff pastry and placed only on the top, it was soooo good, even Jared liked it and he isn't always receptive when I try something new!  I only made four individual pies because I knew Calum and Emry wouldn't eat one, so Emry decided to make Calum and herself something different!




For dessert I decided to make a pecan pie since I knew both my mom and Myrna really like pecan pie!  For some reason though I couldn't find an actually pecan pie recipe in the cook books Myrna has, but I was able to find a Praline Pie recipe, and it sounded really quite yummy.  In fact it turned out to be better than any pecan pie I have ever had because it wasn't so sweet.  In this recipe you only put pecans on the bottom of the pie in a brown sugar type sauce, and on top you mixed vanilla pudding with whipped cream.  It really was one of the best pies I have ever had, well except for the coconut cream pie we had at The Firestone last night!!


I did have another side dish besides the salad, but I completely forgot about it and it got a little crispy under the broiler!  I totally didn't mind because it was sliced mushrooms with melted fontina cheese, and I absolutely HATE mushrooms!  But it was intended for those I love and they all happen to like mushrooms!

This is what the mushroom dish was supposed to look like....
.....And this is what mine ended up looking like!!
 It really was a nice Valentine's Day, Jared gave me five roses and Emry one!  His usual tradition, Emry absolutely loves getting a flower from her daddy, and I must admit so do I!!

Because our anniversary is only two days after Valentine's Day we usually just celebrate them at the same time, though our anniversary this year was celebrated a little differently!  I took Calum and Armin to Lethbridge with me that morning and we went to Weight Watchers, got groceries and visited my Grandma, then we picked Emry up from school and took her to ballet.  For supper we picked up pizza from the New Club Cafe and brought it home.  I did pick up a slice of cheesecake for Jared and I to have after the kids went to bed while we watched a movie.  After supper though we played Disney Princess Yahtzee with Emry and Calum, and we had a lot of fun!  I told Jared that it was actually a really nice way to celebrate the day we started our life together!  It was neat to look back and see what we have accomplished over the last nine years, I am so looking forward to what the next nine years will bring!

Calum not understanding taking turns!!

He ended up winning the game, lucky little bum!



1 comment:

  1. Your dinner looked delicious - I need recipes! I love the picture of Calum losing it playing cards - so hilarious! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete