Tuesday, May 10, 2011

It's Great to Be A Mom


I am thankful to be a mom, and even more thankful to have a mom!  This past friday I was able to spend the day with my mom making cupcakes, laughing and having fun!





Every year her and a group of ladies organize a weekend conference for youth in Alberta.  The conference takes place at the beginning of November but the ladies also organize a big fundraiser in the spring.  This year their committee tried their first annual Flower Extravaganza!  Each lady had a table they were to decorate and provide dessert for.  My mom wanted to serve cupcakes and she asked me to help her make some!  I showed her how to make the chocolate raspberry filled ones, and together we made a couple of different kinds of icing.  I always thought that buttercream icing was what icing made with butter and icing sugar was called.  It is actually icing made with egg whites, sugar and butter, no icing sugar.  It took quite a bit longer to make than standard icing but it was really good.  We made a strawberry buttercream as well as a caramel buttercream. We made our own version of the caramel buttercream to go along with the newly invented brown sugar pound cake my mom made!  She found that the the cupcakes were a little heavy so we cut them in half and filled them with a vanilla cream pudding, put them back together and iced them with the caramel buttercream that we added cream cheese to.




They all turned out to be really delicious, and I teased my mom that we should compete on the Cupcake Wars t.v. show!  My sister laughed when she heard that there was an actual show on t.v. called Cupcake Wars!
This is what Armin did while we made cupcakes, I don't think we even saw the other kids, they played outside the entire time we were there!
Mom bought this bed for her dog, but he refuses to sleep on it.  Armin on the other hand absolutely loves it!  It really makes him smell like cedar, I won't complain!
To add to the fun I went to the Flower Extravaganza on Saturday night to again spend time with my mom.  It was a lot of fun, all the tables looked so beautiful.  My mom decorated hers with her favourite flowers, pansies, I think her table truly stood out from rest as being the most beautiful!





We were given a demonstration on how to properly plant flower pots using the right variety of flowers and how to care for them throughout the season, we were also shown how to make corsages, and then they had an auction to help raise money for the Youth Explosion.  It was so much fun spending time with my mom.  I am so thankful for her in my life and for the wonderful example she is to me.  She is a strong woman with a big heart, she is very accepting of others and I have honestly never heard her say an unkind word about anyone, or make an unfair judgement about someone!  I am also so thankful for how close she is, and how often our kids get to see her!  I had another great day with my mom yesterday as well, she came with me to Lethbridge to get a few things and then we took Calum and Armin to see my Grandma and Grandpa Scheibner (my mom's mom and dad), we hadn't seen them since just before Christmas.  On Sunday we were able to spend Mother's day with another fabulous mom!  All of Jared's family came home to the farm, we had great food, Chicken Cordon Blue (thanks to mom Puzey!) and good laughs!  Family truly is a wonderful blessing in our lives and I wouldn't change any of them for anything!

I was also really spoiled on Mother's Day!  Emry brought home an adorable package she had decorated on Thursday, but made sure I didn't open it until everyone was at the farm on Sunday!



She painted a plate and put her hand print on it.


She also made me a card with a little poem inside.  The poem said, "For all the diapers that you changed, for all the play dates you arranged.  For all the trips back and forth to school, for cleaning up all the spit up and drool.  Why is there only one Mother's Day?  You could have at least gotten the ENTIRE month of May.  Happy Mother's Day Mom!"


I am so thankful for the beautiful children I have, and though at times they drive me absolutely crazy I know they love me just as much as I love them!  I am sure I drive them just as crazy at times too!

1 comment:

  1. DAve is at a YW activity right now judging cupcakes. On the invite it said 'you have seen the show...' Dave said I haven't even heard of the show. Now I will have to google it.

    ReplyDelete