Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Mutton Bustin'

This August marked the third year that we have attended the Carmangay Mini Rodeo held during their annual Sports Day & Fair!  Emry rode a sheep for her third and final time!  I think the sheep will be totally grateful to have her move on, it looked like it was having trouble staying upright with Emry on it's back!


Calum got to ride a sheep for the first time this year!  I tried desperately to get him registered last year, but you had to be four and he hadn't even turned three yet!!  They let him this year only because his fourth birthday is in September!  He had a blast!  I wasn't sure what he would think of it but he was raring to go and hung on for dear life with a great big grin on his face!  He did cry a little when he fell off, but so did every kid, including those who have been doing it for years!  Both Emry and Calum got Participation trophies, which are really quite cute!  Emry now has three trophies with a sheep on top, and Calum has one!  Lily won second place for the second year in a row!  And both Calum and Lily made the local paper!  Calum the front page of the Advocate and Lily in the Regional!




It was a fun time with my mom and my sister and her family!  It is always too hot, with not a tree in sight!  But the company is fun and the hot dogs and giant freezies are always a hit too!  I had walked up to the house where they had the concession set up to get Calum, Armin and Lily a hot dog!  While we walked back down to the rodeo they ate their grub.  By the time we got back Calum had finished his hot dog and started on his freezy!  He was still hungry so he asked for another hot dog, I had just gotten everyone settled and wanted to watch Emry's age group do the cow milking.  I gave Calum a toonie and told him to go up to the concession and get himself another hot dog, I also told him that the ladies would give him a loonie back in change and to put it in his pocket.  I could watch him walk the entire way so I felt good about letting him go off on his own.  He walked up there like a real pro, slightly distracted by the people, fences, bugs or anything in general in his line of sight, but he made it!  On the way back I noticed he wasn't carrying a hot dog, but instead an orange freezy!  When he got back I asked him where his hot dog was, he answered "I dropped it up there!" I then asked where the loonie was that he was supposed to get back after paying for his hot dog, he said "I gave it to the lady and she gave me an orange freezy!"  Well, I guess he did what he was supposed to with just a little treat on the side!  I was pretty proud of him for going on his own and being honest with me when he got back!  He is a sweet little boy and really has a tender heart under all his ninja actions!

2 comments:

  1. Love the picture of Calum on the sheep - I would have loved to have seen that!! What a big boy going and ordering his own food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool they made the newspaper. I am glad they wore helmets in HillSpring they didn't. Good job on Calum getting his own snack. Emry looks like she could take that sheep on :)

    ReplyDelete