Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Summer Storms!

There is something quite exhilarating about a storm!  I find the way they move in so quickly quite fascinating.  The force that is sometimes behind the storm is also somewhat perplexing, the damage that a storm can cause and in not a lot of time either.  The storm that rolled through here only lasted about half an hour with high winds and hard rain, and then the occasional flash of lightening and rumble of thunder for another half an hour!  Thankfully this storm did not leave disaster in its wake, but it was still unsettling to be in the middle of!

As we were sitting in the living room waiting for 4:30pm to roll around so we can take Emry to swimming lessons a huge storm rolled in!  I was sitting in the chair in the corner and I could see the dark clouds forming to the north!  I knew that Jared was on a service call near Gleichen so I messaged him to see what the weather was like where he was...he messaged me back saying that it was super windy and raining really hard!


Only 10 minutes later the wind started to blow here...Emry was, in her own words, "totally freaked out!" The wind was coming in completely sideways and instead of rain we had fox tale blowing by!  The stroller flipped over and Emry's bike blew over, but nothing too serious!  Emry was sure the cars were going to blow away too!  The rain came but it only came down, or sideways, for about 20 minutes!  Needless to say, Emry's lessons were cancelled, probably a good idea!


Always my favourite part of any summer storm...the peace, beauty and comfort of a rainbow.  It brings such a sense of renewal to the earth!

Thankfully I was able to rake the little bit of hay we had cut yesterday morning and when Jared got home from work was able to bale it!  We knew the forecast was for rain on Tuesday but I didn't believe it when I woke up this morning with how beautifully sunny it was, it is really quite amazing how quickly a storm can move in!

We are officially done baling, even though we only had around 200 acres to bale it seemed to take quite some time!  Jared was able to stack some of the bales Saturday morning while he was waiting for the stuff that was cut to cure, so all we have to do is stack and haul the rest home...thankfully it isn't quite as pressing as the actual baling!

I think stay at home movie night is in order for us tonight, fully equipped with popcorn!


3 comments:

  1. We had that same storm through here as well. That's too bad Emry missed out on her lesson. A movie night sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came fast didn't it. Dave had rain in Nobleford but we barely got a smatter here. It was fun to see roll in. We drove into it as we were coming home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wind was crazy!!! I was just getting the boys out of the car to go into Canadian tire when it hit. I got tons of dirt in my car and I lost my hat :(. I decided just to go home.

    ReplyDelete