Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Let it...Blow?!

Jared informed me Sunday afternoon that a terrible storm was to hit southern Alberta on Monday! Myrna, Emry and I had planned to drive to Picture Butte for their Prelude to Christmas. Jared checked the weather and decided we would be safe! The temperature hovered around 0 degrees, it was so beautiful! The Prelude to Christmas was really beautiful too, lots of great performances! Dave sang a duet with a lady and it was beautiful! Very touching! So we made it there and home again safely without any issues from the weather. I still wasn't convinced that a horrible storm would really hit!! As usual I was wrong!! At around 2am the wind really started to blow but still no snow! It was definitely colder! Monday happened to be a PD day so thankfully the kids didn't have to venture out. Myrna watched them while Jared and I went to work. We took separate vehicles because he was planning to leave work early to take our two nerd cows to be butchered. He didn't end up taking them! 

We both had quite the morning!! Jared took his moms truck to work because he had to take the flat deck trailer back to work. On the way he lost power in the drive gear and had to drive in 2nd gear, the transmission decided to quit!! On my way to work I got a flat tire! We knew the tire was low and Jared filled it up before he left, and it was still good when I left! I didn't notice it right away so I ended up destroying the tire, thankfully I was driving slow enough so I didn't wreck the rim! I called Jared and he came to my rescue!! He started to change the tire when he noticed the spare was flat too! It wasn't when we put it there! So he drove me to work and took the spare to the tire shop to be fixed! It turned out to be the valve stem was leaking so they fixed it for free!! After work Jared replaced the wrecked tire with our newly fixed spare!  I followed Jared home in the van. We drove slow since only second gear worked in the truck and we could only safely travel between 5 and 10 km/hr. We had to look out the side window so we could see the edge of the road! At times we had to stop until the wind would let up a bit!  And then it turned out the spare tire really wasn't fixed!! It went flat about half way home! Jared had me drive it still because he didn't want to leave it in case some one ran into it! Since we were driving so slow I didn't wreck the rim, but another tire is ruined! It took us an hour and a half to get home, it usually takes 20 minutes!! I decided if the busses were going to be cancelled the next morning I wouldn't go into work either. Thankfully the busses were cancelled, so the kids and I are going to decorate our house for Christmas and do some Christmas baking!! It will be a fun day inside our warm and cozy house while the storm rages outside!! Jared unfortunately did make it to work :( he felt like he should at least try!! Maybe he will get to come home early!! But for now the kids and I will enjoy the day off together getting ready for this wonderful Christmas season!

3 comments:

  1. Snow days are awesome!!! Have fun with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you guys made it home safely yesterday - crazy storm! We're having a snow day today as well. Jason wanted to take the truck to work and I didn't trust being able to get the little car out of the cul-de-sac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hit hard. Glad you enjoyed your snow day. Car troubles seem to be going around:)

    ReplyDelete