Saturday, February 25, 2012

Emry and Me!

Yesterday Emry and I had the rare opportunity to have a girl's day out!  We didn't have anything special planned but I did have to go to the city to get a "few" things (quotation's are to humour Jared ;)!  I decided it would be fun to have Emry along, it is always more fun shopping with a girl friend!  My super special sister watched Calum and Armin for the day so we could have this special day. While we were shopping though Emry would keep asking if we had too much stuff in our cart.  She embarrasses easily and I think she worries that people are looking at her.  However, I think she forgets to look at everyone else's cart because we didn't have near the amount as some of the shoppers did.

We were able to visit both my Grandma's.  It has been too long since I have seen either one and it was really nice to visit with both of them for more than two minutes!  Grandma Bev was doing good, she is just finding it hard to stay busy so the time will pass a little quicker.  And Grandma Mary looked good despite her horrible fall last friday.  She forgets quite easily and gets confused quickly over simple things, but she also knows this and is trying to be patient as her concussion heals.  When we saw her at the hospital Grandpa was still there for his daily visit and had told us that the nurses had Grandma up and walking earlier that day.  She seemed quite chipper over her accomplishment.  I love my grandparents so much and I admire all they have done to set the way for me.  It is really hard to see them get old, especially when they all are such hard workers and sitting still is asking a lot. 

Emry and I picked out birthday presents for her three boy cousins having birthday parties in March!  And we also got some little dollar store things for Calum's potty prize bag that he will be able to pick from starting on March 1st when he offically starts being toilet trained!  She had lots of fun picking things out for others, sometimes it is really hard to do that when it may be something you really want.  I think it helped that she was picking out all boy things!  And getting a little something herself probably sat in the back of her mind with great anticipation!  When we would go by the little baby clothes she would spot a cute little baby dress and said, "I wish I had a baby sister!"  I agreed with her sentiment but that ship has most likely sailed due mostly to health concerns and Jared not wanting to be a single parent raising four children!

We were also able to have supper with Grandpa Glen, who we haven't seen since Christmas Day.  I think that has been our longest stretch in quite some time.  It was lots of fun catching up face to face without the constant cutting out during our cell phone conversations!  Dad was so totally thrown off guard when I told Emry there was a salmon dish on the kids menu if she wanted to have that, when she nodded her head very vigorously yes, Dad's chin dropped and was speechless!  I told Dad that salmon was one of her favourite meals, he was stunned, yet delighted because he too loves salmon.  He jokingly told her that she was his new favourite girl, beause she is a girl after his own heart!

It was a fabulous day with my precious little girl.  And as fun as it would be to have another little girl, I am so thankful for the one I have and for the friendship we share.  She is growing way too fast, but I look forward to the coming years to see how she continues to grow and develop into the beautiful young woman she is already showing she can be.  And as we always say to each other, before she goes to sleep, "I love her to the sun and the moon and back!"

1 comment:

  1. What a nice treat for Emry. Special mom time. Good luck with the potty training with Calum. Those are the exact words Dave uses when I say that Blake needs a brother. 'That ship has sailed' Made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete