Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Family Day Fun?!

I thought it would be a great idea to take the kids skiing on Family Day, especially since Jared and I had been away the entire week before.  And by kids, I mean all three of our kids!!  For some strange reason I thought Calum could do the mini bunny hill all by himself while I stood at the bottom watching him!  The reason I thought this was a very practical thought was because this is what I witnessed first hand when the Champion School went to the very same mountain for their annual ski trip.  I saw one of Emry's class mates and his little brother who is almost 5 years old skiing for their first time on the mini bunny hill while both their parents stood at the bottom watching and encouraging them.  This little hill really isn't even a hill, more like a very, very gradual slope, and to get to the top all you have to do is hold onto a little tow rope and it pulls you the 50 or so feet to the top.  So simple!!  Well, I guess for a three year old this is a little more complicated!  Calum was so excited to go skiing and actually did pretty good for his first time!

We put the kids to bed an hour earlier than usual the night before and got them up before the sun the next morning.  There was not one complaint as we got dressed and headed out to the car while the sun was barely peeking over the eastern horizon!  I put a movie on for the kids, even Armin enjoyed the ride being able to see the show, they ate their simple breakfast and drank their milk, and only once did we hear the words, "Are we there yet?"  The weather at Castle truly has it's own system!  It was lightly snowing the entire drive there but sure enough as we came around the corner to the entrance to Castle Mountain it was snowing big fluffy flakes with hints of sunshine poking through the clouds!  There was no wind which is extremely odd for Castle and the temperature was just right!  Jared was worried that they may not even rent boots or skis out to kids Calum's size, but sure enough they did, and Calum was beside himself with utter excitement that his helmet and skis had orange on them (his favourite colour).  We got the rentals and the lift tickets and then headed into the lodge to get snowsuits on.  Even Armin was all bundled up and he seemed to thoroughly enjoy walking around in the snow, he didn't even try to take his mitts off!  Jared had originally put his snowboard boots on and walked Calum up the little hill, he would get him pointed in the right direction and then send him down with a little push.  Calum's face was all smiles!  Next Jared tried to teach him how to use the tow rope!  That was not happening, it seemed as soon as Calum was touched or touched something himself he turned into a wet noodle!  It was hard on Jared's knees keeping the solid little guy upright!  I was able to find a harness which made a huge difference on the strain Jared's knee was taking.  By this time Jared also put his ski boots on to better help Calum.  Calum desperately wanted to go on the chair lift, especially when he saw Emry and their cousins going up.  He was not going to be stopped (that boy sure does have determination!)  Jared did take him on the green chair, and Calum was again beside himself with excitement.  The harness worked so well, Jared was able to keep control of him but Calum had to do some of the work, he had to hold himself up.  They did about three runs off the green chair and then came into the lodge for lunch where he continued to stay the rest of the day with Armin and I.  I was so happy that Calum was able to try this year, we will probably try him again next season, I think it will help him in the long run by helping him to be more confident.






Emry did amazing this time too.  I think a lot of it had to do with being able to ski with Cora and Leah.  She was not nearly as timid and even tried new runs.  Last year Jared took Emry on the newer part of the mountain and it really scared her, she would not go back.  This year Dave and Char took their kids over to the newer part and Jared and Emry would meet them at the bottom to do a run together.  Jared took Emry up the Huckleberry chair and instantly she became scared.  She would snow plough to one side of the hill, sit down and turn her legs so her skis were pointing back to the other side.  She is so good at turning yet she just wouldn't do it.  About half way down that run Leah and Cora come skiing over the ridge and call to Emry to come ski with them.  She instantly gets up and calls to dad to hurry up and follow her!  I admire Jared's patience, he was also very patient with me 12 years ago when he tried to teach me how to snowboard!

After they did this run a few times Dave and Jared took off to go to the tippy top of the mountain!  Their favourite spot!  Jared enjoyed skiing with his old partner again and was so happy he was able to do those runs again after breaking his knee there 2 years ago.  I know the next time he goes skiing it will be just him and Dave!  When Jared and Dave came down from the top they decided they wanted the kids to go up the blue chair, it goes a lot higher than the green chair and the Huckleberry chair!  From where the boys and I were sitting in the lodge we could see them all getting onto the blue chair.  I was absolutely flabbergasted to see Emry in line with them.  I was so proud of her for being so brave and for trying new runs!

The boys were so good in the lodge with me!  Calum played with his cars on the windowsill, while Armin had a nice snooze on the bench and I read some of my book!  It was a fantastic family day, especially since we were able to spend it all together as a family!  I love how our kids like the same music that Jared and I like!  When we were in the car Emry asked if we could listen to cd Jared got for Christmas.  It is the new Black Keys album, a fantastic rock band.  She was either singing along with the songs or whistling.  And both Armin and Calum were bobbing their heads to the beat or banging their hands against their knees to the beat!  They all definitely have rhythm, and I am most certain that they inherited this from their daddy!  It truly was a great day, I love my family so much and I am so thankful for the closeness that we share, I hope we will always be close knit.  I was also very thankful to be able to spend the day with Dave and Char's family as well.  I love the close bond that our children share as cousins.  Family truly is important, and I am so happy to be so close with both sides of our family.


1 comment:

  1. I was glad Dave and Jared went when I suggested it. I tried to get them to go again. Dave said that they were going to go just the two of them next time. He was so glad to have his ski partner back:)

    ReplyDelete