Tuesday, September 10, 2013

And Another One is Off....


Calum officially started Kindergarten today!  And to top it all off it is also picture day!  He eagerly jumped in the tub this morning and didn't even cry when I washed his hair!  When he got out he saw his clothes laying on the floor and said, "Wow, that's a lot of stuff I have to wear!"  I gave him the choice between two shirts and he picked the red one because it was prettier!!  I combed his hair, again no tears, and put some mousse in it to help it stay somewhat tamed!  Myrna had given him a much needed haircut last week, but it still has a mind of its own!



The kids had a quick breakfast and out the door we went to take "first day" of school pictures!  He had his back pack on and was ready to go!  He walked to the bus right by Emry's side and when it stopped he ran to the door!





I watched them as they got on and sat down, Calum schooched past Emry and sat next to the window, and that is when my eyes teared up!  Seeing his little face through the window and his hand waving to me as the bus drove away broke a little piece of my heart!  He really is growing up, the little boy who has such a tender spot in my heart is moving on and not needing his mommy as much as before.  I honestly didn't think sending him off would effect me so much!  I am so thankful for the sweet, sensitive and compassionate little man he is!  I look forward to seeing him change and grow in the years to come, yet part of me would like to keep him this age forever!

On the way to Stake Conference Sunday morning Emry and Calum were sitting beside each other in the very back of the van but Jared and I could still hear them talking to each other.  One conversation we overheard went like this, "Emry, why do we have to go to church anyway?"  "I don't know?"  "Emry, I know why now, its so we can get better!"  The innocence in those few sentences really makes me realize just how special these little spirits are that we get to teach.  In our family home evening last night we talked about responsibilities, Calum really liked how he had a responsibility in our home.  We made a train with each of us as the cars, and they really knew the roles we each played.  Daddy is the engine because he is big and strong and helps lead and guide us.  They each were a train car helping with carrying the load and keeping the train on track.  And mommy is the caboose, she helps support and encourage the train to keep moving forward on the right track!  They had so much fun and seemed to really learn a lot!  I love my children so much, yes there are times when it would be so much quieter and so much easier to do things without them, but there truly is no reward with that scenario.  The years will start going so much faster now that they are in school, yet I look forward to what is to come and I am excited to see our children learn and grow.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. Great FHE lesson - may have to steal that!! Hope Calum enjoys his first day of school.

    ReplyDelete