Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Surprise!!

For Jared's 35th birthday this year I wanted to make it really special for him, and I desperately wanted him to have a relaxing birthday!  So I started to plan at the beginning of October.  I decided I wanted to take him to Great Falls overnight, but I realized I didn't have a birth certificate for Armin yet.  When I was in Vulcan I happened to ask Rose Ann at the Registry Office, where I get the forms for a birth certificate, it just so happened that I was at the right place.  I filled out the papers and paid the 30 dollar fee and hoped it would come before the end of the month...it came the next week.  Step one was done.

Next I had to ask Jared's boss at John Deere if he could have the Friday before his birthday off, I originally wanted to go Saturday and come home Sunday, but it turned out that Sunday was going to be the day for our Primary Presentation at church and Jared and I both had Leadership Training in Fort MacLeod later that evening.  Dale said it would be no problem for Jared to have the Friday off, they have really started to slow down.  Step two was done!

Next I had to book a hotel room, I was able to get one super cheap through Hotwire.com.  Step three was done!

Next I had to keep it a secret from Jared, that was actually quite hard! Jared ended up taking the friday off the week before my surprise trip!  He rented an excavator so he could install the new cattle water they got for cold weather!  I was afraid Dale would say he couldn't have the next friday off too!  I chanced it!

The next thing that happened was Jared asked me to make a treat for him to take to work to share with everyone for his birthday!  I made cookies Wednesday evening.  I took them up to his work on Thursday and told him I decided to bring them a day early because if they sat at home they would probably all be gone before Friday, and also I didn't think they would be as nice two days after making them!

Then the night before we were to leave, Jared borrowed the post pounder from my brother-in-law and said he was going to take it back to him on his way to work the next morning.  I had to tell him a little fib and told him that Buck wasn't needing it back right away.  That same night I also had to pack our things and sneak them out to the van without Jared noticing!  I also had to pack the kids things because they were going to spend the night with Grandma Debbie while we were gone!  When Jared got home from work he decided to stay out and pound posts while it was still light out, so the kids and I had supper and then went to work packing.  Just as I started to get our clothes together Jared came in the house, I directed him back upstairs to eat his dinner and then quickly went back to packing.  The only problem is he didn't go back out to work so I wasn't able to sneak our suitcase out, he happened to have a shower later though and I did it then!  Almost ready!

Friday FINALLY arrived!  I got up earlier than usual and got myself and Armin ready and fed him good so he would sleep on the way.  Emry also got up early and really wanted to tell Jared that I was going to drive him to work.  He was a little confused about this, but I told him I had stuff to do in Vulcan and that I had a surprise for him after work.  He bought this and still had no idea, until Emry started to give him lots of hugs and kisses and told him to have a really good birthday, and that she would miss him so much!  OOPS!  He started to get a little suspicious.

Next I knew his wallet was in the truck from the day before so I put a little note on the seat that said, "Get your wallet.  Get into the front passenger side of the van.  Put this blindfold on.  Sit back and relax!"  He refused to put the blindfold on because he said he has a really good sense of direction and would know which way we were going even if he did have the blindfold on!  I drove to the highway but didn't put my signal light on until after I came to a stop, when I clicked it to the right I said "Surprise, Happy Birthday!"  Instead of going north we went south!  I asked him if he knew where we were going and he said he hoped we were going to our favourite inexpensive city!  He asked about work and I told him I had it all worked out he had nothing to worry about!  He seemed really excited, though a little anxious too with all the work he had to do back at the farm!

As we were driving through Lethbridge just after 8am, Dale called Jared's cell phone!  When Jared answered, Dale asked him where he was and said he was late for work!  Jared said he had been kidnapped and really hoped he knew about it!  Dale withdrew the suspense and told Jared he knew all about it and just wanted to call and tell him to have a great time.  He wished him a happy birthday and told Jared he had been working really hard and that he deserved a break.  I thought it was so cool that a boss would call an employee and tell him this!  John Deere has been a really good move for Jared, I know him and Dale are also good friends, but it just made Jared feel really appreciated!

On our way!  We had a really good time, it was nice and relaxing with great food and even better company!  We went shopping as soon as we got to Great Falls, I told Jared his present was buying a new pair of shoes!  The runners he has been wearing are so full of holes so he was in desperate need of shoes.  The only problem is he is so picky when it comes to his shoes, and it takes him so long to decide on a pair, sometimes it takes months!  We went right to Scheels, Jared's favourite store and looked at men's shoes!  He found a pair he liked, and then right next to that pair was the exact same shoe, only a little darker colour and green highlights.  He asked for a size 10 1/2, the girl went to the back to see and of course his luck would have it, they were out of 10 1/2 in that colour.  The next thing amazed me, he asked if they had that size in the lighter colour one.  They did so he tried it on, and instantly loved it.  It was so comfortable and fit perfectly.  I was sure he would put them back in the box and say he would think about it, and then hope he would be able to find the darker pair instead!  What he said next totally shocked me, the words that came out of his mouth were not what I expected! "I'll take them!"  This should have gone in the Guinness Book of World Records for the fastest time making a decision on which shoes to buy!  After we paid and left Scheels we walked out into the mall where Jared promptly put his new shoes on!  I don't think he has kissed them yet though!  That is something he has done for years and years whenever he gets a new pair of shoes!

Jared with his new shoes!
After we looked around a little more we went to have lunch at Fudruckers, and then headed to the hotel to check in and put Armin down for a nap!  We ended up having a little nap too!  After we went back to the mall, and then over to Famous Footwear to look for an inexpensive pair of runners for Jared.  After more shopping we went to Jaker's for supper!  It was so yummy, and we were both so stuffed after, so we decided to go walk around Target before we headed back to the hotel.

The next morning we slept in and then had a nice light breakfast at the hotel before heading out for more shopping!  Jared found runners, again in record time, and says that they are the most comfortable runners he has ever worn!  For lunch we went to the Golden Corral before heading home!  We ate at our three favourite places and even had ice cream on the way home at Cold Stone, Jared had his usual Sweet Cream with Raspberries and I told him to get me a small Eggnog if they had any.  When he came out he passed me a little cup of ice cream and told me to try it.  After my first bite I asked if it was Sweet Potato, he laughed and said no, my next guess was Pumpkin!  Which it was, I thought it was so thoughtful of him because I said if they didn't have Eggnog I didn't want any.  When he saw the pumpkin he knew I would love it because I love anything pumpkin!  It goes to show that he does pay attention, more than I give him credit for!

On Sunday we had birthday cake!  I was a little disappointed with myself because I didn't make Jared a fancy cake.  Instead I made him his favourite chocolate cake with butter icing!  The kids and I sang happy birthday and then while I was at the Leadership meeting Jared stayed home with the kids because he woke up that morning with a wicked headache and a sick feeling tummy!  He watched Night at the Museum 2 with Calum and Emry sitting on either side of him.




Emry took this picture of Jared pretending to eat the entire cake!
It was a fun weekend and I was happy I was able to take him away for his birthday, away from the stress of the farm and all that HAS to be done before winter!  Not to mention the stress of our house sitting there not being worked on because of everything else he HAS to do!  So happy birthday to my very favourite person, my very best friend.  I am so thankful for all he does for me, and for the strength he brings to our family in so many ways!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad he got his shoes. I told Dave I wouldn't have a clue who to call to get him the day off work. Sounds like you had a great time. You left the meeting fast on Sunday. I was trying to find you after I used the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete