Sunday, June 24, 2012

Greener Pasture

We finally got the cows moved to greener pasture, no more bale feeding until winter!  Well, actually we do have 6 cows still here at home who haven't calved yet.  But Jared won't have to feed them quite as often.

It went quite smoothly yesterday, having Dave and Char here to help moved things along quite efficiently.  Sometimes it can be a real nightmare to get the cows to move into the smaller corral by the barn when they are in the bigger one, especially when there is only two of us.  First we separated the cows from their babies, we had originally planned on hauling them to the sand separately but later changed our minds.  So we separated the cows from the calves, then we separated the heifers from the cows, and then we had to separate the ones that have calved from the ones that haven't.  We took the heifers out from the main herd because they are going to my brother in laws to be bred by their bull (a little smaller bull), and Jared really didn't want to move the ones that haven't calved yet because he would have a hard time finding them in the super tall grass on the quarter in the sand.  Despite all the separating the day went quite smoothly.  And like always it was so cute to see them practically dance off the trailer when they saw the fresh green grass.  It was a great day and the best part of moving them is I will probably get counter tops this week!!











3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a productive day. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great time chatting with you out in the field. Can't wait till we can do that more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it too Char! I am looking forward to having you guys so close. I have always wanted to be closer with you but I have found it hard to make the effort because of the distance. I know I could stop in and see you when I am going to Lethbridge but I always seem to find there isn't enough time to do everything in one trip as it is! I had a great day Saturday, and I have always loved visiting with you! Have a great week, Dave's last week at Frito Lay! Hopefully you guys can do something next week while he is off! Talk to you soon!

      Delete