Sunday, June 10, 2012

Spock Days and A Little More...

This past week we have been celebrating lots of firsts...first things in our new home!  Wednesday we had our first dinner guest...my Dad!  It was so nice to entertain him in our own home.  I have a real hard time saying our own home because Myrna's home truly felt like home too, and we had my family over quite often for dinner, but it was neat to have him over to "our" real home!

Friday and Saturday we had our first over night visitors...Cora, Leah and Blake stayed with us for the weekend.  Saturday morning we all sat around our beautiful dinner room table and had super yummy french toast before we all piled in our van and the Jetta to go to Spock Days for the annual parade.





This man has been in quite a few Spock Days parades, I often wonder who he is and if he is a real mountain man!

As this girl went by Calum calls out, "Hey, you not 'possed to be standin' on a horse!"

This float will be in the Stampede parade next year to advertise Vulcan's 100th Anniversary.  It was quite spectacular!

These two guys were part of the crew the kids and I saw talking in front of the Trek Station!  They were totally into the whole Star Trek theme!
It was lots of fun, and the weather even cooperated, no RAIN!!!  Although when the sun went behind a cloud it did feel like the temperature dropped a few degrees, which just made us put on a jacket only to take it off when the cloud passed!  We took the kids to the pizza joint for lunch and then Jared left to go back home and do the typical farm work.  The kids and I decided to walk downtown and look around at all the happenings.


We made a stop at the Trek Station, lots of die hard Star Trek fans all around, it was hard not to stare at their bizarre costumes while listening to the funny language they would speak to each other!  The kids were quite fascinated!  When we got downtown the Rocky Mountain Cloggers were just getting ready to perform so we watched them for a little while, it too was neat.  Cora and Leah were more interested in their costumes as they love to design clothes!  After watching for about half an hour it was time to walk back to the van and drive over to the arena where I had to work at the Bouncy House.  The kids were waiting for this all day, especially Cora since I told her she could go in too!  They had a ton of fun and burned a lot of energy.  After jumping and running for a good 2 hours I had intended for them to go home with Myrna but instead her and I took the younger kids to get their faces painted while Cora stayed in the arena to play with Amy, a friend of hers from Vulcan.  The other kids waited so patiently in line to get their faces painted and I must say it was well worth the wait, they all looked so amazing.  By the time everyone was painted it was about time for my shift to end so we went back into the arena to collect Cora and ended up staying right to the end.  Myrna and I would tell the other kids one more time and then it seemed like one more time lasted another 15 minutes!  But it was fun and I am glad they were having so much fun that they wanted to stay with me the whole time.  Myrna and I finally did manage to get them out of there and she took them home while I went to the store to grab a couple of groceries for our first Sunday dinner!

Wolverine
Angel Eyes
Kissing Swans
Skull Fang

The girls stayed over again while Blake stayed at Grandma's.  Our hot water on demand really lived up to its grand reputation, as all three girls had showers and Calum and Armin had a bath, and then even Jared had a shower and not one of them ran out of hot water!  WE even managed to make it to church on time, just on time mind you!!  After church Myrna and Blake came over to join all of us for dinner.  WE had pot roast, yorkshire pudding and rhubarb crisp for dessert.  I was told to take a picture of my presentation of our main dish!  I love using all my dishes from when we lived in Carmangay, I really missed them!



Anyway, it was a great weekend, although I am thoroughly exhausted from the long nights of putting things away, and I am not done yet, but it is coming.  I truly couldn't be happier!  I also really enjoyed spending time with my nieces and nephew and having them at our home.  They are wonderful kids who are all truly well behaved and so good to their cousins, for this I was extremely grateful, especially while I was carting the six of them around Vulcan yesterday, it worked so well because we all looked out for each other.  While we were walking up to the Trek Station Blake said to me "You are so cool because you take us into buildings!"  I am not quite sure what he meant by this but it made me feel good!  

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great weekend. We were sorry we were so busy on Saturday - Jason has been wanting to come to Spock Days for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will definitely have to try for next year, it is Vulcan's 100th so I am sure it will be pretty amazing! I am sorry you guys were so busy too, it would have been nice to see you. Hopefully we will see you guys soon! Love Amber

      Delete
  2. Thanks for taking care of my kids. I did panic for a bit thinking they might be bugging you. Blake also asked me if I knew that you were really nice. I said yes did you just figure that out after all these years. They had a great time.

    ReplyDelete