Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Very Soggy Zoo

On Thursday I was able to go to the zoo with the Emry and all the grade 1 - 4's of the Champion School! Emry was excited that I could go with her. I was the leader of her group along with another mom, Maria! In our group we had seven kids, including my nephew Gilbert! We also had four Mennonite kids, who were totally enthralled with all the animals! It was quite sweet to see!! They were also completely entranced by the airplanes coming in for a landing!

It was a light but steady rain the entire time we were there, luckily most kids had an umbrella or a poncho!! Regretfully I didn't have either so I did eventually get soaked through. But it happened gradually so I really wasn't uncomfortable, I didn't notice how wet I was until after when Emry and I were doing our grocery shopping!

The animals at the zoo were a lot more lively than I have ever seen them before! The hippos were swimming and it was quite neat to watch! They would heave themselves into the water and then they would kind of glide before sinking to the bottom. Then they would push off on the bottom and sort of climb the wall until their head poked through the surface and then they pushed against the glass and did a sort of back glide! One hippo even yawned for us and it was quite amazing to see! Their mouths were huge and their their teeth massive!

We also got to see the gorillas being fed! The big silver back sort of guarded all the food until he got what he wanted then the others would come out! If one came too close to where the big guy was feeding he would charge at them, scary!

It was a fun day! I really enjoyed being able to go around with both Emry and Gilbert, they are both such a joy to be with!! And even though it was raining there were smiles all around!!









2 comments:

  1. I hate wet clothes. Sorry you didnt have an umbrella. I will have to remember to take one just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bowen was at the zoo on Wednesday - it was pretty rainy that day as well. Glad you had a good time. One good thing about going when it is cooler is the animals are more active!

    ReplyDelete