Monday, December 5, 2011

The Nativity

On Friday our church put on a Nativity Display.  It was hosted by the Young Women and it was beautiful! We have done it in the past and each year the display is different.  I have always loved having this event at the church, it totally sets the true spirit of Christmas.  Emry came in and helped Myrna and I set up our Nativity sets, and while she was there she helped everyone else who was setting up as well!  She is such a good helper!  The night of the event our church ladies choir sang, and I felt like we did a wonderful job!  The songs we are singing this year all tell something about light, the light of Christ!  My favourite one is called "A Tiny Light", and even though it repeats itself a lot throughout, it has a very special message, and every time we sing it I get goose bumps!  Each nativity set that was displayed was beautiful, at the end of the evening Emry and I walked around the gym looking at each set a little more closely.  We talked about what we liked about each one and which one was our favourite.  I really enjoyed doing this with her, I felt a real special bond between us.






These sets from Jerusalem are some of my favourites, they are carved from the wood of an Olive Tree and I find them to be so beautiful.


Th e two Nativity's above are Myrna's, her mom, Grandma Minty, made them years ago!

This one is mine, and it is my absolute favourite.  Mom and Dad Puzey gave a part of the set over one Christmas and two birthday's one year. 


This is my other set, I got it from Costco when Jared and I were just married, the colors are so brilliant.
The evening was really nice and the spirit of Christmas that has filled our home since truly is wonderful!  I am thankful for the gift our Father in Heaven has given us, the birth of his only Begotten Son.  I am thankful for that first Christmas night when the star appeared in the heavens to welcome our Savior, and I am extrememly thankful for Mary and for her goodness and her courage to follow through with something that in that time would be her death.  I am so blessed to have the knowledge I do about our Savior, to have His example with me throughout all I do, and I am so thankful for His eternal love to guide me through this troubled world.  I am so thankful for the Christmas season and for the gift of eternal life we received when that precious baby was born!

One of my favourite parts of the evening was having my dad there.  He was on his way to work and stopped by to give Armin his birthday present.  I loved that he was able to hear our choir sing!  The kids had fun with Grandpa, Armin showed him how he is almost walking and Calum proved to be his silly self!  At first he wouldn't go to Grandpa, but finally reached around me to shake his hand!  The birthday gift Grandpa gave Armin was a little church outfit, with a little tie and sweater vest!  The card he gave him was so cute, a lot of thought went into it, and I really admire that about my dad!  At the bottom of the card he wrote, "You may not be the biggest, loudest, tallest, but you're the bestest!  The message prewritten in the card explained what some grandkids are...tall, chunky, one-third monkey, subdued and full of attitude!  And each one of these characteristics was assigned to one of my dad's grandkids!  Since there wasn't enough to put Armin's name beside Dad made one for him!  I found it really touching, Jared even laughed at me because it brought tears to my eyes!




Armin's birthday outfit!

1 comment:

  1. I love nativity displays. They did this in the ward we were in when I first got married. It is what inspired me to start collecting them myself. You will have to let me know next year, I would love to take the kids. That is nice that your dad was there.

    ReplyDelete