Friday, July 5, 2013

"Poor" Auntie Val


Last Wednesday, June 26, 2013, we were woken up with some very unexpected and tragic news.  My Auntie Val had passed away in her sleep.  Her heart just stopped.  Two days before, June 24, 2013, she celebrated her 47th birthday with her two favourite people, her husband and son!


My first memory of Auntie Val was when I was around six years old.  She was dating my dad's younger brother, Brett.  One weekend while my sister and I were staying with Grandma and Grandpa Livingston, Uncle Brett brought Val over.  Arren and I fell in love with her the moment we met, she was kind and loved to tease, also from that moment on we called her Auntie Val even though she hadn't yet married Uncle Brett!  Five years later my Uncle Brett asked her to marry him and when they told Arren and I the only thing we said was "Poor Auntie Val"!  This name has stuck ever since!  Even on her birthday this year I posted this on her Facebook wall, "Happy Birthday 'Poor Auntie Val!'" :)

Uncle Brett as a teenager was not that tolerant of my little sister and I!  When a hockey game was on and we walked into the living room all he had to do was point his finger toward the door and we turned ourselves around and walked out!!  He would also get angry if we double dipped our chips in the dip!!  Though he was tough on us we still loved him, and truly I believe that Auntie Val smoothed out his rough edges!  I also remember going to visit her regularly at SEARS in the home furnishings department with my dad!  I can still picture her sitting at her desk with all the area rugs and drapes behind her!!

We spent lots of time with Uncle Brett and Auntie Val, especially when they lived in Stirling.  They had Kyle two years after they were married and dad would haul us out to their house and we would entertain ourselves with our newest little cousin!  They also had a menagerie of cats and dogs and they always were quite the bit of entertainment!  They had three part wolf, part german shepherd dogs, which loved Arren and I, but my dad not so much!  Sometimes we would stop at the gate into their yard and dad would make us run up to the steps to ring the door bell so Auntie Val would come out and keep her dogs in line!  Dad was too scared!!




Kyle's Grade 12 Graduation
Last July for Kyle's 18th Birthday
When Emry was Blessed it was Uncle Brett and Auntie Val who came from my side of the family to show us their love and support.  We have always received Christmas cards and family pictures and I have always sent some in return.  We kept in touch through Facebook and visits when Uncle Brett would come out to haul David's barley!  I have always admired their family.  I love how what you saw is exactly who they were.  There was no hiding, no being fake.  They were always accepting and supportive.  Yet they had their opinions, they didn't care what others thought of them and they lived their lives the best they possibly could.  They have raised a good boy, who is a hard worker.  I truly learned a lot from the lives they have lived and I hope to exemplify their example in how I live my life. I will not soon forget the words my dad used to describe Uncle Brett and Auntie Val, "They truly complimented each other."  I agree, they brought out each others better points.  I am thankful I had the opportunity to call Val my Aunt, to have her love and support, her friendship and concern in my life.  I am thankful I have been able to witness such a sweet relationship between her and my Uncle Brett.  I will miss her dearly but I will always hold her memory close to my heart!


1 comment: