Monday, February 23, 2015

Big Sugar

Tonight Jared and I had a super fun date night!!!! We were able to get tickets to see Big Sugar play at the University of Lethbridge Theatre!!! They recently reunited and put together a totally acoustic band...so good!!! We had amazing seats...front row on the aisle! 


They developed more of a reggae sound to go with their already amazing blues sound. 

Jared and I had gone to see them when they played the coco cola stage at the stampede years and years ago!!! We walked with Jason and Lalainia from their apartment not too far away. I'm sure it was before either of us had any kids!! I remember it was a super hot day and I wasn't feeling great from the heat so I hung out under the shade of a tree. But from what I remember the band was good!! 

They reunited with all five original members plus 3 new ones!! They played a variety of instruments including a big bass drum, bongo drums, some kind of mouth keyboard, harmonica, bass guitar, a four string banjo and a six string banjo, a slide guitar, a tenor sax, an alto sax regular acoustic guitars and a flute!!! After one particular song Jared looked over at me and said that alone was worth the $40!!!! Gordy Johnson, the lead guitarist, got up with his resonator guitar and sang "wild ox moan"...Jared's favourite!!! He even stepped in front of the mic near the edge of the stage and the acoustics in the theatre were amazing!! 


After the show Jared bought their newest vinyl and we were able to get all of them to sign it!!! I even got to shake the hand of a star!!! Gordy Johnson put out his hand toward me so I shook it and told him it was a wonderful concert, then I got to shake "Mr. Chill's" hand, he played the harmonica in a way I've never heard before!!!! They were all very humble for being such big stars!!! To come meet the fans after says a lot to me!!!

On our way home we were treated to an amazing display of northern lights!!! I haven't seen any for quite some time!!! Truly stunning!!!!  It was a fabulous night!!! We had some good laughs, good food and great music!!!!! I'm glad we were able to go...thanks to a wonderful "Amma" who is always so willing to stay with our kiddos!!! Even if Calum claims she puts them to bed at 7!!!!!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great night. Cora will be sad she missed the Northern Lights. She loves them. I will have to look up that song and listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was a great concert. Wasn't there a thunder storm we walked home in after that concert at the coca cola stage and we all got totally soaked - good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there was a thunderstorm and we got totally drenched!!!!! It really was a great time, a memory I will always cherish!!

      Delete