Monday, May 25, 2015

I Was So Worried.....

My very favourite cow finally calved!!! I was so worried that she may have been one of the ones that aborted just as we started calving this year and that would result in her untimely demise :( being sold at next years auction!!!


We were down to the final 6 cows left to calve and still she hadn't...Jared came in Saturday afternoon and said I needed to come check cows with him?  I thought that request was a little odd since it was usually Emry who got to go out with him...so I quickly put my shoes on and off we went!!  He was not able to contain his excitement for me any longer and burst out with "Number 2 finally calved!"  Oh did my heart soar!  Jared told me that earlier in the afternoon she had gooey stuff coming out of her back end but he wasn't very hopeful since that can be a common occurrence for cows, then he went out a little later to check again and sure enough there was a new little guy laying beside her being licked off!!!!


She is my favourite because she still has the look of a Galloway cow, a blackish red colour around her eyes and down around her nose and a very beautiful tail, the hair hanging in ringlets, quite a distinctive look!!!  Our cows were bred to a Galloway bull their second year of being bred and she was the calf of one of our cows, we have had her ever since and she has always calved so I wasn't about to give up hope for her!!!  She made me proud and will be around to see another year on our farm!!



After watching her with her new little guy for awhile we went for a drive through the rest of the herd! My favourite calf this year is number 3, it looks like she is wearing eyeliner and her nose is black!! For a red calf she really stands out!!!  Since she is a heifer and we will most likely be keeping her to increase the size of our herd I am excited to see if these distinguishing features will stay with her as she grows!





2 comments:

  1. Man o man when I saw it was about cows I wasn't sure I would read it! Glad I did you guy's are real farmers you know:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're funny dad!!!! I'm sorry there have been so many cow posts....seems that's what our life consists of 24/7 :(

      Delete