Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Gratitude

Yesterday, Beverely Smith and I were going to go Visiting Teaching, but because of sick little boys we were unable to, thank goodness we didn't leave it to the last day of the month, we will try again next week!  Anyway, the message I was going to give to the sisters we visit teach was a talk given by President Monson from our last General Conference.  His talk was called "The Divine Gift of Gratitude", and it truly is an excellent one.  I know at times I take for granted what I have, and dwell too much on what I want, and why I don't have it now.  As I read over this talk I gained a new perspective on gratitude.  And then my Visiting teacher, Terry, came today and challenged me to read a talk given by our Prophet from the Conference Ensign and apply his counsel to my life.  I had already read this talk and was even thinking about writing down all the things I am grateful for before she challenged me to do this, and since her challenge I have decided to do it instead of just think about it.  Already I know Dave won't read this because it is too long, and if I write down all I am thankful for everyone would be reading for days!

I do however want to express my gratitude for a few very things in my life!  First, my membership in such a wonderful church.  I am so grateful to be able to listen to the counsel our Prophet has to give us, he truly is the mouth piece for our Heavenly Father.  I know that as I do the things commanded to us in the scriptures that I will be blessed, and I know at times I fail miserably because of my laziness when it comes to reading my scriptures but I know Heavenly Father knows my intentions are there, and thankfully at times He is patient with me!  Without having the Gospel and the faith of Jesus Christ in my life I know I would be so lost, I know I would feel very little meaning in my life.  And now, even when life gets hard (raising kids, making ends meet...) I really feel like I still have purpose here on this earth and that I truly am living for something greater, eternal life!

Second, I would like to express my gratitude for an extremely loving, kind, caring, compassionate, tender hearted...husband!  I really couldn't ask for a better companion to share this life with.  I know at times we have struggled but I also know that without him I would not be the person I am today.  He gives so much for our little family.  Even when he is working himself to the bone, he still finds time to play cards with Emry or lay with Calum when he won't go to sleep for his mom!  I love Jared more than anything in this world and when I feel defeated because of Calum's persistence or Emry's sassiness, I just have to look at him for reassurance and I feel a sense of peace and comfort wash over me.  I am also thankful for all he does for us ungrudgingly.  The house he has built for us truly is a masterpiece and when we are able to move into it really will be a dream come true!  The fences he has built for the cows and the patience he has shown even when the cows decide to break through the electric fence to eat the straw bales has been a true test of character for him.  And when it seems like he has had to do many things twice either because of weather or lack of time to finish projects completely, he still plugs away!

I am also thankful for wonderful parents.  I am so lucky because I have two sets of parents who are always there for me and who would do anything for me despite their circumstances!  My mom lives just a few miles away, usually just a phone call away!  And even with all that has happened to her this past year she is still smiling and concerned for others.  I love her so much and I truly admire her strength!  And my in-laws (I actually really hate this word to describe them!) are just steps away when I need an extra hand dealing with the kids!  Quite often they entertain Calum while I put Emry to bed, so it can be done with a little peace!  Or even if I have to dash out to the school, like today for instance when I had to take chilli in for the hot lunch, Myrna will offer to keep Calum!  And my dad, who isn't able to be as readily available as my mom or Jared's parents, is always just a phone call away too, and when I need a break from watching Treehouse, he can usually make me laugh!  Without my family I would again be lost.

I have so much to be thankful for, and even as I sit here typing this I have one of them on my lap!  The sweetest little man ever, just woke up from his nap and still wants to cuddle with his momma!  What a life I have been blessed with, and what a family I have to share it all with as well!

Oh, one more thing I am thankful for is David!  Even though he is still in pain, at least he knows what has been the cause of it, and thankfully it isn't because his cancer has gone crazy!  Hopefully they can schedule an operation to have his stint put in well before Christmas so he can enjoy the holidays pain free!  I am also so thankful for his attitude!  Even with all the pain he can still find reason to smile, he truly is an example to me and Myrna too, she still putters away with a cheerful heart!  And maybe before next week is over I will stop fighting over the thermostat with him, when this next little blessing in our lives will soon arrive.  Another thing I am extremely grateful for!  I love to feel it move inside me, even if it usually is more uncomfortable because a little foot scrapes across my rib cage!  I love that Jared and I have had a hand in bringing this sweet spirit into this world, to this earth to experience all the joy that we as humans are able to feel.  Even when I worry about what the world is becoming and what our children will have to face, I am reassured by the fact that we have faith in something so much greater than ourselves, and when we rely on this faith to guide us we will have the comfort from our Heavenly Father and that truly will carry us through.

Like I said, I have so much to be thankful for, I really don't know where to stop, or if I even could!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, a quote from President Monson's talk I really found uplifting...
    "To express gratitude is gracious and honourable, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure did love your blog and feelings on gratitude Amber. So special to read and cry over.
    I worry about my brother , but know you are all there helping him through this. And Yes, I hope his stint surgery is soon. You have a special hubby and 2 almost 3 little sweet spirits to raise. With your positive attitude, you will do a great job. Love you, Aunt Sheila

    ReplyDelete