Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sound Asleep!

Calum has mastered climbing out of his crib quite awhile ago.  So to keep some sanity in our lives we rigged up his crib so it would be too hard for him to climb out.  We already had it lowered as far as it would go when he first figured it out, so we propped the mattress up with Encyclopedias so the top of the mattress is right in line with the bottom of the rail.  I always knew Encyclopaedias were still good for something despite the Internet!  Anyway, about two weeks ago Calum finally mastered climbing out of his crib with the mattress as far down as it can possibly go without him crawling out between the mattress and the rail!  One day I stood outside his door and watched how he does it, even though he does have some stuffed animals in his crib he doesn't use them to climb on, he kicks his little leg up until his toes can curl around the top of the rail and then, as he is grunting, he hoists himself up over the top.  Once balanced he very gracefully lowers himself to the ground.  I am quite amazed at how he does it, he is so quiet.  Anyway, the day I stood outside his door, I think I put him back in about 8 times before he could lower himself to the ground.  I don't know if he ended up winning that battle or if we tied!  But finally I couldn't lift him any more, so I took him to the couch and cuddled him to sleep.  Jared said he won, but he woke up in his crib, so I think we actually tied!

Sunday night, Jared and I took turns putting him back to bed, probably about 10 times.  The next day all Jared and I could talk about was how cute he was, and how we were both amazed that neither of us got angry or frustrated with him.  The first time he climbed out that night we didn't even hear him until he came sprinting down the hall, both hands hold onto his pyjama legs!  Jared met him at the end of the hall, picked him up and carried back to his bed.  Calum didn't complain at all, in fact he cuddled right into Jared.  As Jared was walking out of his room, he could already hear Calum trying to climb out again.  A couple times when he came running out he would make a huge circle around Jared to get to me, still he wouldn't complain when Jared just picked him up and put him back to bed.  By the end Calum started to get sneaky, or at least he thought he was.  He would slide down the wall in the hallway, get to where a toy was, pick it up, and start to play, he wouldn't look at us the entire time.  Finally I had to just take him to his room where I cuddled and sang him to sleep, or I am sure it would have gone on all night!

Tonight when I put him to bed, I did the usual routine...cuddle and singing!  After a few minutes of just rocking back and forth he pointed to his crib so I asked him if he wanted to lay down, he nodded and smiled, so I laid him down and sat on the floor to hold his hand for a few minutes.  He must have gotten a second wind or something because he started to play.  I told him it was bed time and mommy had to leave. I got up, closed his door and went into the bathroom to cut my nails.  The bathroom is right next to his room and I really wanted to hear what he would do with his door closed and no hall light seeping in.  I did hear him get out of his crib and sit behind the door.  There is one of those support poles behind the door and for some reason he loves to sit there.  I find him there quite often when I get him up from his nap.  He wasn't crying or even calling for me, so I didn't go in to check on him, instead I went and watched t.v. for about half an hour before I finally asked Jared if he would go get him and I would just cuddle him to sleep, because I was just too tired and too sore to keep putting him back in his bed.  When Jared went in to get him this is what we found...

He didn't even get any toys out, he just went right to his favourite spot and conked out!


I think it might be time for a bed, or at the very least a mattress on the floor with a blanket!

2 comments:

  1. What a doll. I miss that little curly top! Can't wait to see you all tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! Sure sounds like it's time for a big boy bed.

    ReplyDelete