Monday, December 20, 2010

Dad Puzey


This has definitely been a trying year.  But one full of many blessings as well!  When Jared's dad was diagnosed with bile duct cancer just over a year ago we knew his time may be cut short, though that didn't stop us from hoping and praying for a miracle!  And in some ways we were given a miracle!  Around the time David was diagnosed Jared decided to register for The Ride to Conquer Cancer, a 200km bicycle ride.  He raised over $5000 and his dad was able to see him cross the finish line.  David was able to see much of our house completed and I know he was so proud of Jared for all the hard work he put into building our house.  He was also able to see Dave and Jared work together to bring cattle to the farm, and I also know how proud he is of his boys, they have been able to work so well together, something David always hoped could happen.  And another miracle, David was able to meet his newest Grandson, Armin David, something I truly am grateful for!

My very first memory of David was when I was in Grade 7.  It was my first year playing basketball, and I must admit I was pretty terrible, very awkward and goofy!  David helped coach that year, and I remember him taking me aside and showing me how to shoot the basketball and dribble, even if Jared and I never did find each other I know this is an experience that made a lasting impression on me and would have stayed with me despite being with Jared.  My next memory of David was when I was in Grade 11, Jared had gone on a motorcycle trip to California with a couple of friends and they were all in an accident.  One of the guys was hurt quite badly and did end up passing away.  I saw David at the 4-H speeches and asked him how Jared was.  I think he started to clue in that Jared and I were dating!

I couldn't have asked for a better father-in-law.  I have really enjoyed these last three years living with David and Myrna, and learning from them first hand.  I am also thankful Emry and Calum were able to get so close to Grandpa, or as Emry would call him, "Gramps, or sometimes Grampy!"  And when David wasn't feeling well enough to eat dinner with us, Calum would go into his t.v. room, turn off the t.v. and grab Grandpa's finger and lead him to his chair at the table!  I am so thankful to be married to Jared, he is so much like his dad that at times it feels like he is still with us.  I am also thankful I could witness first hand how David and Myrna interacted with each other, the relationship they had is exactly how I want Jared and I to be, and to be honest I think we are on the right track!  The love they shared was evident in all they did, they truly were best friends.  There were times when I witnessed David feeling his lowest, but he never failed to ask how I was that day, he was always genuinely concerned for others, and I always did feel his love, even if I wasn't deserving of it because of my occasional foul mood!  He never judged me or criticized me for being human and not always being pleasant.  I truly love David like my own father and I will miss him. I am thankful we are able to be here, so close to Myrna, because I love her too!  She is an example to me in many ways, and I hope I can be a help to her at this time and a friend as well.  Without the love and support of family I know these trials we have to face would be so much harder.  I am thankful for a Heavenly Father who has provided a way for us to be together again.  I am thankful to have the gospel in my life, to have the strength of family all around me, and to have such a wonderful, loving husband who truly is my best friend.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amber, how I loved your comments on my brother. He was a very special man, and I really miss him. This past year, I have gotten much closer to him, talking to him each day and trying to give him positive vibes to keep on fighting. I can't believe he is gone. Every phone call I still hope it is him. He and I have been close for all our life. We were always teased as the rebels in the family, as we had a fun naughty side, whereas the 2 sisters were the spiritual serious ones. I am so glad you are there for Myrna. She is a rock right now, but she will have some hard roads ahead. Thanks for sharing your feelings of him. Yes, Jared is very much like him.
    Love, Aunt Sheila

    ReplyDelete